Thursday, February 4, 2010

Night 1 - Go With What You Know

I have never written a blog before.  In fact, I don't write much at all.  I had a tenth grade teacher once tell me that, and I quote, I have "the unique talent of wrecking the English language with my eloquence."  I have always taken that as a compliment for some reason.  But I have always wanted to write more.  I feel like I am a pretty good storyteller.  And I do have a lot to say...

But a blog takes a certain amount of work.  Specifically, it appears as though I need time and ideas.  I have the time all the sudden.  And I have plenty of ideas.  But how do you start something like this?  I laid out the premise yesterday, intending to keep it a little quiet for a while, fleshing out a few of the first posts.  I had talked to my buddy Jeff a few times about the idea over past few months, how to do it, what to say, etc.  So I emailed him today that I was doing this.  And Jeff's reaction, as with any new/interesting/fun idea he runs across, was to tweet and faceypage it.  Dude is really plugged in.  But I still didn't know where to go first.

So over a beer tonight, it dawned on me to just write about what I know.  Cliche, yes.  Easy, sort of.  Good way to get the creative juices flowing, hell yeah.  So Night 1 in our travels throughout Michigan takes us to Beggar's Banquet in East Lansing.  Which is where I was having a beer...

Beggar's is one of the longest operating restaurants in East Lansing ("Gimme Eat since 1973!") and has long been known for its wine selection and an eclectic menu.  They definitely don't attract the typical college crowd, but they are certainly welcome.  It really is the perfect blend of town and gown, with a solid, but not overly expensive menu, and good beer/wine mixed amongst more accessible labels.  Wednesdays are the legendary 1/2 off night for bottles of wine.  And their beer selection has come a long, long way and is now one of the best in the area.  They haven't really changed much (including a relatively 70's-ish interior), but that is what works.  It feels comfortable.  Even if it is your first time.  I am sure it feels even better for someone coming back to town for a ten, twenty, or even thirty year reunion.  If you are new to town, it is definitely one of the places I would suggest you check out.  They are just north of MSU's campus, on Abbot Road, and parking is around back, in the City lot. 

So there you go.  Enjoy Beggar's if you get a chance.  Check back here for new fun-ness on a regular basis (hopefully at least thrice a week).  I have some interesting places to throw out that I think more people need to know about. Send me your idea of fun too.  I always need more good ideas.  I think this thing has legs, so strap in, this might be a good long road trip.

1 comment:

  1. I'd recommend the Fat Bastard on a 1/2 off Wed Wine...such a great place.

    ReplyDelete