Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Night 3 - Behind Enemy Lines

I am an alumnus of The Ohio University in Athens, Ohio.  One of the most picturesque campuses in the Midwest, many people would say.  I did my undergraduate work there and absolutely loved it.  But once undergrad ended, I had to make a decision: grad school or real world.  Being the discerning twenty-something that I was, I obviously chose more school...at The Ohio State University.  So yeah, I am a Buckeye.  I didn't really like OSU, but I got a good (and free) education there.  Columbus is a pretty good town, but this is a blog about Michigan, not Ohio.  So let's move along this song, and try to find the plot.

Although supporting the Buckeyes is something like a hereditary disease in Ohio, disliking The University of Michigan is a state supported religion.  I have only been to Ann Arbor to get gas and only because I was afraid I couldn't make it any further. So naturally, I move to Michigan and became fast friends with a life long Ann Arborite.  But still hadn't really visited town.  Until recently.  When I got to meet one of my friend's friends...from Ann Arbor.  Clearly, it was inevitable that I was going to visit this town. So I went down to visit my new friend one weekday night after work.  I had no idea of where to go/what to see and I was hungry.  First off was a little sight seeing while we thought about where to eat.  She finally chose a restaurant after we circled the downtown forever to find a free parking space.  Something about the principle of the thing.

So where did this fine young lady take me?  Arbor Brewing Company.  And I gotta say, it was good.  First off, they are smoke free.  Not that I care if you smoke, but I really don't feel like smelling like an ash tray after a nice night out.  Naturally, they brew their own beer.  And not being able to decide on what to drink, we just got a flight of everything!  Actually, since the taps rotate regularly, this isn't the worst idea in the world if you want to try out a bunch of their beers, but also be able to walk out the front door when you are done.  The menu is interesting.  They pride themselves on buying locally and sustainably, working with local farmers and producers.  And they are dumping high fructose corn syrup and other processed things anywhere they can.  There were a lot of interesting options with local ingredients.  And since we are talking Ann Arbor here, there are plenty of vegetarian options...some of which even looked appealing to me.  We had a roasted garlic appetizer plate that was fun to eat.  Plus, if both people are eating it, you don't have to worry about bad breath, right?

So yeah, Ann Arbor apparently isn't just a 'lady of the night.'  It is a pretty cool town.  I am sure that I will be back, spreading my love of Ohio throughout the land of my mortal enemy.  As long as they keep feeding me well and producing interesting people, I guess I can call a truce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment